Wednesday, July 27, 2011

FREED-UP Practice: SAY 'NO' to Antibacterial Soap

Earlier in the month (July, 2011) The Canary Report posted an article about Antibacterial Soap. The month has moved along, and I pasted the article here until I had time to frame the 'evidence' and 'experience' described by guest blogger Rob Dunn.  Dunn's article "Scientists Discover That Antimicrobial Wipes and Soap May Make You (and society) Sicker" appears in Scientific America.

Susie Collins' The Canary Report is one of the Internet's go-to sites for the global community living with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities.  She posted the article on antibacterial soap with this lead sentence:

"Just about nothing gets most people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity sick faster than exposure to antibacterial soaps."
I'm one of those people who would get sicker if I am exposed to antibacterial soap.  Sitting at the key this morning, considering what to say, I'm reminded about the conversation I had with my friend and neighbor.  She's writing a book (she's an anthropologist and a nurse).  I asked her how her book was coming, and she said, "Good."  She's writing every morning.  The hard part of it is putting in what other people have to say about the topic.  "Can't just pretend you made every thing up yourself."  There you go, I said to myself.  So, what's to say about this antibacterial soap that combines what others say, and what I have to say.

THE RESEARCH.  When I started getting sick, I had suspicions about what was happening and used the best part of my intuition and researching skill to ferret out 'causes.'  I know more, but know I know not everything.  The Internet allows access to information:  if I have Internet I can search.  But, with time and experience I search more discerningly, and direct my energy differently.

The case for NOT USING antibacterial soap is laid out well in Dunn's article, and if you've come this far, maybe you are ready to read what's in antibacterial soap, and what those ingredients actually do to your body and the 'germs' aimed at annihilation.

THE EXPERIENCE.  Pete and I are on alert for the hand wipes, sanitizers and squirt bottles of antibacterial soap.  I mask up in public spaces:  the library, food market, restrooms, bank knowing the exposure is typical. 

Our one public success regarding the use of soap and hand-washing OTHER THAN antibacterial is the 'Good News' process we began on Mothers' Day at South Whidbey Tilthe.  Pete and I have been cleaning the two restrooms for three months now, and people who have read the article I wrote in our South Whidbey Tilth Newsletter  "The Good News Koan:  Clean the Restrooms" come up to me and say, "Are you these guys?"  "Thanks for the article."  "Thank you.  That is such a good attitude."  These are the things that make choosing and doing things differently the good news. 

OUR NEWEST EXPERIENCE:  The septic guys from SEPTIC ALERT! were here last week to check out the septic tank.  I was off the land when I heard the truck pull in, unsure of what an inspection involved, best to find out later.  I was thinking I would have time and energy to render a detailed account of the inspection, but at this point it's enough to say this:

Pete found the septic guy very "knowledgable and articulate."  The guy 'really knows his stuff.'  The tank is in good shape, doing what it needs to do to maintain and break down the waste from the main house, including toilet, baths, dish washer, hand washing, and one clothes washer.  The inspection involved checking the activity of microbial breakdown ... the organic composting of all our sh*t and chemicals, supplements, prescription drugs, soaps, and product end up in the septic tank.

Here's the part that got to Pete:

  • Prescription drugs like antibiotics (and others I can't remember) really create havoc in the septic tanks.  Nothing breaks down and everything in the tank sits there, clogging it up
  • "What about baking soda and vinegar," Pete asked.  "Oh, that's some of the best stuff!"  The septic guy said.  I think Pete could've kissed the dude, but he only kisses me!
  • Wow, don't you love it when unexpected gifts show up ... in unexpected places.

THE CHOICE:  I launched and maintain this blog because it's something I can do.  Influence?  Who can really know.  If you are reading this maybe something here will give you a nudge to move in the direction of fragrance and chemical freed-upness.  The research and the experiences are there to make informed choice. Got a septic tank?  It could have surprising tales to tell you.

Go do it.  Try Freed-up Practices and see for yourself.







TO READ The Canary Report article on antibacterial soaps link here:
 http://www.thecanaryreport.org/2011/07/07/antibacterial-soaps-toxic/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheCanaryReport+%28The+Canary+Report%29

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving and positive comments are welcome here!